Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Investing In Our Future....Actively

The best way to predict the future is to create it. - Peter Drucker

I have had excellent response to my "stimulus check" blog. My hope is that it inspired people, and many have responded that it has helped in desperate times. Like I had said, I hope my site is relevant, interesting and enjoyable.

Now, some people read into things a little too deep. Like the part I mentioned about a career change. I think people that know me understand where I'm coming from when I say I will not settle. Those of you that still may be confused thinking I'm an unemployed bum may need a little clarification. So...here's a little insight into good old Uncle B.

The Entrepreneur's Creed:
I do not choose to be a common man.
It is my right to be uncommon-If I can.
I seek opportunity-not security.
I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humble and dulled by having the state look after me.
I want to take a calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and succeed.
I refuse to barter incentive for a dole;
I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence;
the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia.
I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout.
I will never cower before any master nor bend to any threat.
It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid;
to think and act for myself,
to enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly an say:
"This, with my god's help, I have done".
All this is what it means to be an entrepreneur.
~Unknown Author

That just about covers the flybys.

I have a degree in Business and my field of study was corporate finance. I've been entrepreneurial since I helped start a futures and options investment company when I was 22 years old. This is me. I live by the creed....every single day. I seek opportunity-not security. I have succeeded....I have failed. But I have no regrets and I will continue to control my destiny.

There are those who just don't and won't get it. I don't blame them. Most people got used to living in a world where a job equalled security. NOT TODAY!! Not in this time of recession. We need to start calling this what it is...a depression. Dow Jones companies, Blue Chippers, the "recession-proof" companies are slashing jobs. Banks have no stability. Even old standbys like Home Depot cut 7000 jobs. People I know are just waiting for their pink slip, knowing the date when the cuts are coming and not knowing if their name will be on the list. Not knowing if they will be able to pay the mortgage or put food on the table. JOB does not equal security because jobs are disappearing, at an alarming rate. And it's not stopping. What happens when YOU get "downsized" or "let go" or "canned" or any other politically correct BS you want to add?

True security comes from knowing exactly what you are going to do and what opportunities you are going to seize. I know my future because I'm creating it. I can't say that for most folks out there. I have always provided for our family...and I always will. Auntie A is also an entrepreneur, experiencing great growth in her business venture, expanding on a carefully calculated plan and creating jobs in an economy that is cutting them. I'm very proud of her. She is not only creating opportunities for herself, but is creating opportunities for others. Now that's "job satisfaction". I'm working on a project that will possibly create 30-40 jobs in 3 years.

My wife and I are creating not just a living, but a life for ourselves...every single day. I'm very happy with the progress. We have the freedom to seize opportunities when they present themselves. We also saved for a rainy day, and sacrificed our house and cars to get into a streamlined position to make this happen.

I'm sure I have my critics. I've always been dismissed as too young, too inexperienced, undercapitalized. Ever since I can remember. Maybe the critics have their own insecurities. I've kinda always viewed those job advocate types as baby birds in the nest waiting for mamma bird to bring them the worm. Not us.....we find our own worms. And we don't wait for hawks to come kill the mamma bird.

My wife and I are entrepreneurs. We know our future because we create it. We always make money because we are always working, always thinking, always searching, always planning, always creating, always discovering, always looking for that next thing when we are doing the current thing. We don't put limits on ourselves or think anything is too big. I believe people like us for it.

For those who care to condemn, shame on you with your low expectations, little faith, clouded vision and lack of courage. Certainly not followers of the creed. My hope for those is that they find the confidence to seize opportunities in their own lives....and stop worrying about ours.

We are doing just fine.

2 comments: